Athletes and sports competitors compete in sports events as part of a team or alone.
• Plays sports games
• Exercises and practices
• Is part of a team
Where and When:
• Most practice outdoors for many sports.
• Some practice indoors.
• Athletes compete in many places on fields, in stadiums, on tennis courts, ice skating rinks, golf courses, tracks, in gyms and moe.
• Athletes must practice many times per week.
• Some must practice every day.
• Most have games every week.
• Some compete in the Olympics and competitions all over the world.
• Many will practice early in the morning, during the day, or at night.
• Games and competitions are held at all times of the day all over the world.
What or Who They Work With:
• Sports equipment balls, cleats, raquets, bats, etc.
• Sports safety equipment such as helmets, pads, and protective gear
• Other team members
• Athletic Trainers
• Sports Officials
Education and Training:
• Most professional athletes have a Bachelor's degree (4 years) or some college classes.
• Few professional athletes are recruited out of high school.
• Most must have at least a high school diploma.
• Some may have a Master's degree (6 years)
• Most have competed most of their lives in sports as a child or at least in middle and high school.
• Most professional athletes are discovered when they attend college and play on college teams.
• It is rare for athletes to be recruited directly out of high school
- Sports Official
- Team Manager
Related School Subjects:
• Physical Education
- The Boy Who Never Gave Up: Stephen Curry (2016) by Anthony Curcio
- Aaron is a Good Sport (2015) by P.D. Eastman
- Salt in His Shoes: Michael Jordan in Pursuit of a Dream (2003) by Deloris Jordan
- The Boy Who Became King: LeBron James by Anthony Curcio
- Stephen Curry: My Secret to Success by John Emerson
- Kid Athletes: True Tales of Childhood from Sports Legends (2015) by David Stabler and Doogie Horner
- Rising Above: How 11 Athletes Overcame Challenges in Their Youth to Become Stars (2017) by: Gregory Zuckerman
- Women Athletes Who Rule! Sports Illustrated kids (2018) by the Editors of Sports Illustrated Kids
- Lives of Athletes: Thrills, Spills, (and What the Neighbors Thought) 2013 by Kathleen Krull
- What Athletes are Made Of (2006) by Hanoch Piven
- Amazing Athletes Series many by Jon M. Fishman
- 100 Athletes Who Shaped Sports History (2003) by Timothy Jacobs
- Greatest Female Athletes of All Time (Women in Sports) (2017) by Todd Kortemeier
- My Weird School Fast Facts: Sports (2016) by Dan Gutman and Jim Paillot
- A Smart Girl's Guide: Sports and Fitness: How to Use Your Body and Mind to Play and Feel Your Best (2018) by Therese Kauchak maring and Brenna Hansen
- Nobody Wants to Play with a Ball Hog (Sports Illustrated Kids Victory School Superstars) 2010 byJulies Gassman
- My First Book of Series by The Editors of Sports Illustrated