Truck Drivers take things from one place to another on many types of trucks. Some drive local delivery trucks and vans for businesses and stores. Others drive trucks for construction firms, gas companies, wrecker services, or lumberyards. Long-distance truck drivers drive big tractor-trailer rigs or automobile carriers on long trips across the country. Truck drivers must have a special driver's license and a good driving record.
• Drive trucks
• Check trucks for fuel and oil
• Make sure brakes and lights are working
• Sometimes unload and load the goods they transport.
• Keep a truck log
• Keep records of things transported.
Where and When:
• Truck drivers must sit for long periods of time.
• Some must spend many days away from home.
• Truck drivers must also do a lot of lifting.
• Some long distance truck drivers spend most of the year away from home.
• Delivery truck drivers often work during the day and return home at night.
• Long distance truck drivers usually drive late at night and very early in the morning.
• Truck drivers must drive through rain, snow, and wind.
• They may often drive through a lot of traffic.
• U.S. laws only let long distance truck drivers drive for 11 hours per day and work no more than 14 hours each day.
• They must take off 10 hours off after working each day.
• Drivers can not work more than 60 hours in one week without being off at least 34 hours at once.
What or Who They Work With:
• Ropes, covers,and chains
• Trailers and hitches
• Most truck drivers drive alone.
• Many work for a company.
• Some work using their own truck.
Education and Training:
• Most have a high school diploma.
• Those that drive tractor trailers or large trucks must have a CDL or (commercial driver's license)
• Many go to school to learn how to drive tractor trailers.
- Ambulance Driver
- Taxi Driver
- Delivery Truck Driver
- Bus Driver
- Mail Carrier
Related School Subjects:
• Auto Mechanics
• Driver's Training
- I'm a Truck Driver by Jonathan London and David Parkins
- Truck Driver Tom by Monica Wellington
- Matthew and the Midnight Tow Truck by Allen Morgan and Michael Martchenko
- Big Joe's Trailer Truck by Joseph Mathieu
- My Truck is Stuck! by Kevin Lewis and Daniel Kirk
- Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard Scarry
- Tough Trucks (Amazing Machines) by Tony Mitton and Ant Parker
- Seymour Simon's Book of Trucks by Seymour Simon
- National Geographic Readers : Trucks by: Wil Mara