Veterinary Technicians work for Veterinarians, like nurses work with doctors. They help keep our pets and farm animals healthy. They do tests on animals, like blood work, and help with first aid.
• Draw blood and give shots
• Talk to animal owners
• Take animal temperature
• Clean animal's teeth
• Perform first aid on injured animals
• Assist Veterinarians in surgery
Where and When:
• Vet hospitals
• Research labs
• Can work long hours
• Sometimes they travel to farms to help large animals
What or Who They Work With:
• They can work with veterinarians taking care of pets like dogs, cats, and birds in an office.
• Some work with veterinarians who take care of farm animals, so they go to ranches and farms.
• Some work for research companies.
• Others work for zoos or animal sanctuaries.
Education and Training:
• Associate's Degree in Veterinary Technology
• Pass a special test
- Animal Care and Service Worker
Related School Subjects:
So Your Want to Work with Animals? Discover Fantastic Ways to Work with Animals, from Veterinary Science to Aquatic Biology (2017) by: J.M. Bedell
I'm a Veterinarian (2016) by Brian Biggs
Veterinarians (2016) by Cari Meister
Curious About Zoo Vets (Smithsonian) (2015) by Gina Shaw
Be the Vet (7 Dog + Cat Stories: Test your Veterinary Knowledge) ; Ages 9-12 (2013) by Dr. Ed Blesy and Marcy Blesy
Cute Poodles, Sweet Old Ladies, and Hugs: Veterinary Tales by P.J. Miller
Let's Meet a Veterinarian (Community Helpers) (2013) by Gina Bellisario and Cale Atkinson
Career As a Veterinarian: What They Do, How to Become One, and What the Future Holds! (2013) by Brian Rogers
A Day In the Life of a Veterinarian (Community Helpers at Work) (2000) by Heather Adamson
Animal Hospital by Judith Walker-Hodge