Baristas make coffee and coffee drinks. They may serve the drinks to people in a coffee shop. They may also serve people pastries.
• Make and serve hot or cold drinks such as coffee, espresso, and teas.
• Clean work area.
• Order supplies.
• Serve foods.
• Tell people about different kinds of coffee drinks.
Where and When:
• Baristas work in coffee shops. These are places that mainly serve coffee as a drink made in many ways.
• They may work very early in the morning, or very late at night.
• Many will work on the weekend.
What or Who They Work With:
• Coffee Makers
• Expresso Machines
• Cream, milk, and flavoring
• Other baristas
Education and Training:
• Most have a high school diploma or GED.
• Some may work while still in high school.
• Many may need to attend some training before working.
• Some may receive on the job training from other baristas.
Food Serving Workers
Related School Subjects:
- The Teashop Girls by Laura Schaefercoff
- The Coffee Shop of the Living Dead (Escapade Johnson) by Michael Sullivan
- Ribsy by Beverly Cleary